What are databases used for?
Creating databases allows you to define a structure with a set of assets with the same attributes.
Defining databases will make it easier to search by filters or even restrict your users' access rights to the needed elements only.
What is a database ?
A database consists of a group of elements. All the elements contained in a database will have the same attributes. Defining a database therefore means defining a set of attributes.
A database is therefore characterized by a name and by the attributes defined in this database.
In the databases, you can also define sub-databases. The sub-database will inherit attributes from the "parent" database.
In practice, how do you create a database ?
Context : Imagine a company having to inspect thousands of engines. It will thus have to create a database called "Engines".
All engines will be characterized by the following attributes :
- A power
- A couple
- A brand
We are therefore going to create a "Motors" database which will contain the attributes mentioned above.
1. In the Assets tab, click on the toothed wheel then on Families.
2. Create a new database. Name it "Engines".
3. Add the following attributes :
- Power (Number attribute)
- Torque (Number attribute)
- Brand (Text type attribute)
4. Your "Motors" database is now created. All the assets created in this database will have the attributes mentioned above.
To go further
- In a newly created database, mass equipment can be integrated, by importing assets.
- Two databases cannot have the same name.
Please sign in to leave a comment.